A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sarah

Sarah
16 x 20 cradled wood panel
This painting is way overworked. I had originally painted her face with a palette knife and she had a vulnerable and almost fearful expression. Like she was afraid to show her vulnerability. I decided that I didn't like the contrast of the palette knife face with the brush stroke hair so I repainted her face with a brush. In the process, she lost that expression. Now her expression is much more sad, reserved, thoughtful. As I thought about this change, I realized how this could represent me so thoroughly. I tend to hide my vulnerability and fear being wounded by exposing it.So I cover it up, hide it with fake self assuredness, but end up sad and reserved. This brings me back to my word for the year - Restore. I'm working to restore my vulnerability and authenticity. Trying to fight through the fear to live life as who I really am... to live life whole.

Linking this up with Sunday Sketches!

11 comments:

  1. How absolutely beautiful, I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome insight Heather.... thank you for being "vulnerable" and sharing a bit of you with us today....

      blessings,
      Cynthia♥

      Delete
    2. Thank you Valerie and Cynthia!

      Delete
  2. Just the fact that you are able to share your insights speaks volumes to me about your strength and authenticity! You and your art are aces in my book xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I think we all hide our true selves. The trick is to stay true to our beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave post, lovely painting! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading and honest post like this and love your word for the year... a wonderful choice...xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. the video was nice to watch, to see the process. I think I would have make the same choice, although, we can still see the face that might have been.

    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your painting and especially what it revealed to you as a person. That's the beauty of art. May you be blessed with strength, courage and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's pretty, and not at all over worked to me! I think she has the vulnerable look you were trying for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE her pink hair! I don't thinks he looks overworked either. :) Her pink hair is amazing, I am just saying! Haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!