A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Girl Inside

The Girl Inside
16 x 20 Cradled Wood Panel

This painting started with the usual collage papers, but then I wrote out the poem "Hope" by Emily Dickinson. I found it quite interesting that this is where my bird ended up showing through... Hope ("the Thing with feathers") is whispering in the girl's ear. At first, when I finished her, I was a bit uneasy about her... wondering if she was "acceptable". But, you know, it doesn't matter if she's acceptable, she's still part of my story and part of my process of discovering myself and my art.

I have a video below and you will see that I made this bird with a handmade screen. I took an awesome class with Lisa Patencio on making your own screens the easy way and with inexpensive materials over at The Trodden Path. I actually didn't intend for the bird to show through in the end and painted over it. Then, I tried to wipe back to it and wiped too much away. So I just lined the screen up again and reemphasized it. I'm so excited about my screens... but I'm also overwhelmed at the possibilities  I can't decide what to make screens of because there are just so many choices.

This girl in many ways represents the little girl I once was and the little girl that's still inside of me now. An awkward girl who feels ugly and unlovable .. but thankfully, Hope whispers in her ear, back then and today still. I just have to listen for His still, small voice.



3 comments:

  1. OMGoodness Heather.... you are a beautiful women!! how sad that you see yourself an anything but....life has hurt that little girl along her way.... but God loves her!....He created her, He has a purpose and a time for her.....I'm so glad you shared this painting, I love it....I love the symbolism that the little bird represents....it is no accident that He is shinning through.... O.k.. I'm off to watch you video now, I just wanted to tell you what a beautiful and awesomely creatively talent ARTIST you are

    blessings,
    Cynthia♥

    p.s. better get me some popcorn for the movie...I love watching you videos....they rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***HUGS*** You are loved! I simply adore the meaning of this painting and YES...it is your story and is so important to share your very own unique story that nobody else but you has. I love your little bird and you my friend are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just popped over to let you know I have nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    head on over to my blog to see what its about, it's all in fun♥

    blessings,
    Cynthia♥

    Pop On Over

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!