A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Monday, November 25, 2013

Soul Food Meet and Greet: Sarah Hand


We are offering payment plans in either 2 or 4 payments  You can read the details next to the PayPal buttons on the SOUL FOOD page.


Watch a fun little promo video for SOUL FOOD HERE.


----------------


Today we are welcoming Sarah Hand! After you read her interview, be sure and stop by her blog and enter her GIVEAWAY!!!






I’m Sarah Hand, a mixed media artist living in Richmond, Virginia. Painting, collage and paper mache are my passions. Combining all three is even better! I’m thrilled to be part of the Soul Food faculty and look forward to sharing my talents and connecting with new artists, and learning more, myself!

Tell us about you and your art journey. I’ve made art all my life. My mom was very encouraging and we had lots of art supplies in the house. Even though I studied English Literature in college, I spent most of my free time learning how to make books, sewing, painting, etc... I’ve never stopped making art, all these years later. Mostly, though, I was just making it for me or friends and family.  Only in the last five years have I pursued art more seriously, as a passion and a living.  I’m still figuring things out, but I do believe I’m on the right path!
What are some of the things that nourish your soul? How do you decide what to create - where do your ideas come from?
I love to read, and learn and keep my brain active. I get ideas all the time, and that really nourishes my soul. As far as deciding what to create - sometimes I have an idea that just pops into my head and I am driven to make it. Other times, it’s not so much a decision making process, but a dialogue with the materials. What are the colors and shapes suggesting? What story do I see in them? That is when I find my flow and get very productive!

How do you re-energise yourself or your muse if you have a creative “dry spell”?
This is a tough one! But it is a valuable question to contemplate.  Sometimes, the well runs dry and it’s important to refill it. Getting out of my head, and getting out in the world - a museum, a movie, a walk, going to a conference - all of those things can refresh me. And sometimes - most times - I have to be tough with myself and just sit at the art table and start. Even without knowing where I’m headed, even if I don’t feel like it or have ideas. Just start!

What was the nicest compliment you’ve ever received about your work?
A guy once told me that a painting of mine in a group show looked like a kid painted it - and he meant it as a compliment!

What drives your sense of validation or legitimacy as an artist?
First and foremost, I have to have that feeling. You know that feeling? It’s a wise knowing that the work is true to me and my vision. After that, getting feedback from people who say that my art makes them happy. My goal is to make art that is happy and full of wonder, and if someone tells me that’s how it makes them feel, my job is done!

What are some elements that make your work “yours”?
I love to draw and paint and collage and sculpt people. Little characters, often with funny faces or big teeth, that live in my mind.  I always have, forever. And it is rare that I’ll make art without people in it. Lately, I’ve been noticing that I am enamored of pink, yellow and blue! Those colors show up way more often than I am consciously using them. I know that will change, as I love color and will move on to something else.  But, for now, pink, yellow and blue are my jam!

Which creative medium would you love to pursue but haven’t yet?

I’m forever on the edge of trying to art journal. It never sticks - I might be overthinking it!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our new class coming December 30, 2013! Join 39 artists over 6 months for a mix of art and craft projects as diverse as the different personal styles of our instructors: cool mixed media techniques, art dolls and other sewing projects, jewelry making, handmade journals, abstract art, portraits, sculpting, works on canvas and in journals. Find out more!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to do your class, I love making papermache as well, talking a class now. Thanks for your interview.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!