A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Soul Food Meet and Greet: Kristen Powers



We are now offering payment plans in either 2 or 4 payments  You can read the details next to the PayPal buttons on the SOUL FOOD page.


Watch a fun little promo video for SOUL FOOD HERE.


----------------


Today we are welcoming Kristen Powers! After you read her interview, be sure and stop by her blog and enter her GIVEAWAY!!!





Tell us about you and your art journey.
My art journey has been culminating my entire life. My mom always said I was an artist, though it took many years for me to believe her. I was ‘self taught’ until I was 41 and decided to go to college and get my degree in art. At 45 I graduated with my BFA in Studio Art. I certainly do not believe that an art degree is necessary, but it was a wonderful experience and I am so glad I did it! After I graduated, I bought a rubber stamp company, RubberMoon Art Stamps and I now run the business and design stamps and paper art projects. So in many ways, my ‘art journey’ is still, really, just beginning!
 
What are some of the things that nourish your soul? How do you decide what to create - where do your ideas come from?
Creating nourishes my soul. I can hardly think of anything else I would rather be doing than spending time in my studio, painting, drawing or creating a project. My ideas and inspiration come from so many sources. I never have a lack of ideas and I truly believe that creativity is a
state of mind. I used to think that if I wasn’t in the actual constant state of creating something that my muse had left me. I no longer believe that. As it is impossible to be in the state of creating perpetually. I feel that the spaces in between creation are just as relevant and productive as the act or process itself.
What is one piece of advice that you’d like to share with other artists?
Don’t ever, ever give up. Be courageous. (well that’s two, I know, but they go together!)
How do you re-energize yourself or your muse if you have a creative “dry spell”?
I re-energize myself by getting plenty of sleep. And as far as ‘dry spells’…I just work and make stuff even when I may not “feel it”. Some days just aren’t as groovy as others and that is okay!
How have the “rough spots” in life affected your art?
Profoundly. My mom passed away ten years ago. She was my best friend and biggest supporter. When she died, I had a huge creative burst. I really never believed I was an artist until that point. I think I wanted to honor her and make her proud. Three years after my mom passed, I also lost my dad. That was a huge and unexpected blow. My dad was my other best friend and fan. He helped me with all of my computer work and so when he died I was really at a loss creatively and otherwise. It was the driving force in me going to college. So the rough spots have definitely affected, not only my art, they have affected my journey entirely. Honestly, I believe that the rough spots are what give you character and character always shines through in a person’s art.
Tell us about the first piece you created that you felt really proud of...
I have been proud of different works at different times for different reasons…I cannot recall one specific one as being the first. I was really proud of my Senior Exhibit at my graduation. I was so scared and felt so vulnerable. But it all came together and was wonderful!
When you’re creating something, how do you decide when it’s finished?
Good question! LOL It is hard to “KNOW” but I think it is just a feeling. And the more technical knowledge we gain the easier it gets to “KNOW”. But of course much of it is intuitive.
What was the nicest compliment you’ve ever received about your work?
The nicest compliment is to see your work framed and hanging prominently in someone’s home. I have received such wonderful compliments that really touch my heart. I think being told I am a great teacher is really awesome too!
What drives your sense of validation or legitimacy as an artist?
Haha!  Who says I feel valid or legit?!! LOL! Seriously, I think that graduating really gave me a lot of confidence. Not because I think having an art degree is that important (in fact I don’t think it is important at all). However, it was a huge sense of accomplishment and the fact that I managed to go to school full time and work and take care of my kids and family…well, it made me feel I could do anything I set my mind to!

What are some recurring themes/subjects in your work?
Moons. I paint a lot of moons.
Do you have a signature set of colors? Show us some examples in your work, pretty please!
I don’t really. I love every color. I do not discriminate against any hue, tint or shade.
What are some elements that make your work “yours”?
I don’t know that I have any specific elements that I use consistently but I do sign all my paintings “kae pea” which are my initials spelled out.
Which creative medium would you love to pursue but haven’t yet?
Definitely quilting and sewing and playing guitar.
What kind of creative patterns, routines or rituals do you have?
I like to work early in the morning and in silence. But I don’t really have too many routines or patterns…one of the benefits of being a self employed artist!
What hangs on your walls? Do you collect work by other artists?
I do hang my own work but mostly that is just because I have so much of it! Not necessarily because I choose it over other artist’s work. I only have maybe two paintings that I will keep and never part with. I DO have other artist’s work hanging in my studio/shop. It is work from many, many of my friends both local and online. It is called heART Space Artist Collective. It is it a permanent display of collected works and one day, it will be filled to the brim and become a destination spot for people to come and view!
Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to share a bit of my thoughts and my story. I am honored to be a part of Soul Food with so many talented and like- minded creative spirits!
kae
pea






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our new class coming December 30, 2013! Join 39 artists over 6 months for a mix of art and craft projects as diverse as the different personal styles of our instructors: cool mixed media techniques, art dolls and other sewing projects, jewelry making, handmade journals, abstract art, portraits, sculpting, works on canvas and in journals. Find out more!

4 comments:

  1. I love that you spell your initials as your signature..what a great idea! It's hard to know how to sign your work, especially when your name is long. Something I'm still contemplating:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview.........I got to know you a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post. Got to know more about you. yay. happy soul food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview Kristen, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!