A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Monday, January 23, 2012

Be You

Here's a little project I made this weekend. I continue to experiment with style and practice drawing. So, with this girl, there are parts I like and parts I don't. The overall look and feel don't sit well with me. I can't really pinpoint it, but I think I can chalk this experiment up as a direction I don't want to go. I think that maybe there's not enough depth there. Maybe it just needs to be worked more... more layers. It's definitely not one of my pieces that I am proud of as far as the finished design. But, it is a stepping stone in the journey.

I recently read a blog post over at Listening to the Squeak Inside about walking to the beat of your own drum. Throughout my life, I've always been such a people pleaser. Over the last few years, I've worked toward breaking free of this.

Now that have begun this journey into art, I really want to find my own style from the start. I took Mystele's Gut Art class in November and it couldn't have been a better start. Exploring, playing, and finding your own voice is what it's all about. I am so thankful to Mystele and all my classmates for encouraging me at the beginning of this journey. If you ever get the chance to take Gut Art... do not hesitate. It is a wonderful experience and I hope to take the next one she offers. You can find Mystele on YouTube, her website, her etsy and she offers a couple of free classes at her Ning site so you can get a taste of her process. I have found it very freeing.

6 in. x 12 in. canvas panel collaged and painted with mostly Caran d'Ache Neocolor II Water Soluble Crayons. Also used: Faber-Castell Big Brush Pens, Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay India Inks, acrylics, liquid watercolors stamps, stencils & rub-ons.





I'm entering this over at Paint Party Friday. :~)




16 comments:

  1. I love the colors and textures in your painting here. But I think you are wise to listen to your inner voice and know when something is not your style. Trying out various styles along the way is a great learning experience, though. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smashing collage. Enjoy the adventure into art, its such fun. Happy PPF, x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours and textures and glad you are experimenting... I am madly trying to break out and do different things, but keep getting distracted and fall back to old skills... it is all part of the fun though... happy ppf

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's beautiful, Heather. Love that colorful art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's lovely! Experimentation is great though - we all need to find what feels right to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like her a lot, but then, she reminds me of my sister-in-law, so I am biased toward this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like her. And I love that you are playing with what you like and what you dont like. she has a look in her eyes that begs to be liked

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is beautiful! I love her hair and dress...great color! Happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think she is wonderful!
    Your color choices are prefect.
    I like your post too. Be yourself with your art!
    Happy PPF!
    Sheri Cook/HappyHorseStudio

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is delightful ~ love your style, colors, composition ~ post is great too! ~namaste, carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a while since last I blogged with Mystele. A couple of years I think. I remember when she first started out in her upstairs bedroom. It was a lot of fun. She really has come far with all her projects. Love your piece and the colors. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Love your painting and its brilliant colors.
    Now I want to get my hands on some Caran d'Ache Neocolor II Water Soluble Crayons!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this painting!!!! I am all into her hair and the poka dots. Great art
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Awesome job, I love all the patterns in her dress and her hair, and the textures and colours in the background. Great work

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!