A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lots of art and updates


Hi all! I have lots of news this week.

I did an interview over on the Stacie Jewelry blog! Please go check it out! She does beautiful jewelry and also mixed media paintings. She also combines the two to make some absolutely gorgeous jewelry. I've never done an interview before and am pretty honored that she asked me. :)

Mystele's Gut Art Registration has begun and classes start on October 15th. It is truly an awesome experience and unique each time she runs it. This will be my second run through. You an see a video where she explains it more over on her Community Thrive homepage.

I've sold a couple of pieces at the local art studio, Art Smart. I'm so thankful to Shannon Johnson for being such an encouragement and for working so hard to support the arts in our small town. You can follow her blog and her Facebook if you're interested.

First up for my paintings is my girl here. I painted her on 16x20 stretched canvas. I've never painted on anything that big before and wasn't really planning to do a close-up face like this, but you know... that's just how it goes for me. I don't plan ahead at all. I had a lot of fun with the layers underneath and then painted her with a palette knife. I really like painting that way as it seems to help me process more emotion. She's my favorite one to date, but I say that pretty often. :) It's amazing how when you are painting close up, you think the painting is going one direction. Then, you stand back and it's like "WOAH, that's not what I thought she looked like at all!"


These next two were also painted with a palette knife. I named the first one Delora which means suffering, pain, sorrows, sadness. I was processing a lot of grief through this painting. The second one is named Esperanza which I took from the story "The House on Mango Street" by Sandra Cisneros. As I was working on this, I was thinking about hope, but when I finished, she looked a lot like grief or sadness. Because of the conflicting message I see in her, I took her name from this excerpt in the story:
"In English my name means hope. In Spanish it means too many letters. It means sadness, it means waiting. It is like the number nine. A muddy color. It is the Mexican records my father plays on Sunday mornings when he is shaving, songs like sobbing.
It was my great-grandmother's name and now it is mine. She was a horse woman too, born like me in the Chinese year of the horse--which is supposed to be bad luck if you're born female-but I think this is a Chinese lie because the Chinese, like the Mexicans, don't like their women strong.
My great-grandmother. I would've liked to have known her, a wild, horse of a woman, so wild she wouldn't marry. Until my great-grandfather threw a sack over her head and carried her off. Just like that, as if she were a fancy chandelier. That's the way he did it.
And the story goes she never forgave him. She looked out the window her whole life, the way so many women sit their sadness on an elbow. I wonder if she made the best with what she got or was she sorry because she couldn't be all the things she wanted to be. Esperanza. I have inherited her name, but I don't want to inherit her place by the window.
At school they say my name funny as if the syllables were made out of tin and hurt the roof of your mouth. But in Spanish my name is made out of a softer something, like silver, not quite as thick as sister's name Magdalena--which is uglier than mine. Magdalena who at least- -can come home and become Nenny. But I am always Esperanza. would like to baptize myself under a new name, a name more like the real me, the one nobody sees. Esperanza as Lisandra or Maritza or Zeze the X. Yes. Something like Zeze the X will do."


This is a set of girls that are inspired by the ATC's I did recently. These are on 6x8 cradled wood panels, so they are much larger though. The first was a gift for my beautiful sister-in-law. The other two don't have homes yet. :) The second one, I used a lot of junk mail on. The collage underneath was entirely junk mail, the scalloped borders were made from the insides of the security envelopes you get to return your bill payments in, and her shirt is my favorite part. This was made from an envelope sent to me by a dear friend, Dana, and it held the most fabulous ATC's. She made the envelope herself and made the pattern on it with ink! It was as gorgeous as the artwork she sent me.The third girl was just fun. Lots of fun little doo dads on her. I made the flower from fabric. You can see the tutorial on my old blog.

Last, but not least, my birds. What can I say? I just love them!

Sharing with Paint Party Friday!

15 comments:

  1. oh my gosh to infinity!!!!! girrrrrrl. go on witcha bad self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First a thoroughly amazing post and artwork and then a good chuckle at Mystele's comment =0) Wow, did your SIL ever get an amazing gift!! I think that is one of my all time fav's (but I say that a lot about your art too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hair in your painting, and love your birds especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely work this week! That's a large piece, and congrats on your sales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great body of work, I especially love the cradle boards with all the junk mail attached...great way to recycle!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific display of fabulous artwork. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Very strong and vibrant women and love your birds ~ all very creative and powerful! ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    thanks for coming by and commenting ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have had an eventful and wonderful week!
    Love your red-headed beauties!
    Especially love the texture and message of the first portrait. :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your portrait is fabulous! Painting in a more intuitive style is very fun and it seems to suit you well. I had to chuckle with what you said about painting close up: "It's amazing how when you are painting close up, you think the painting is going one direction. Then, you stand back and it's like "WOAH, that's not what I thought she looked like at all!" This is SO true. Happens to me too :) Lovely work. Congrats on your sales and interview. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful girls all (and birds!), but I really love the ones where you used palette knife, it gives them interesting, slightly rough but really honest and original texture and feeling, great job! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your red headed gals must be so wild and full of energy. That's how they look to me. ZeZe X for sure!
    Do you have red hair perchance?
    All the paintings are very special.
    I loved reading the excerp from the book so I appreciate your sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are such beautiful paintings! I love the textured look and the red hair! You are right they do look sad. The Cisneros quote (never got around to actually reading one of her books for some reason) resonates bc I was also named after my grandmother, and she also had a miserable life due to the machismo bull***t she was born into. She died of cancer young and since then almost all the women on her side of the family have and at times I'm afraid the old lady will take me away as well. Sorry - way too much TMI but thats what happens when you quote literature LOL you never know what you're going to unleash

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful artworks. I love the little birds, especially the orange one with its curvy shapes and brilliant colour. My favourite head study is the one with the titled head and lovely soulful eyes. I also like the group of three - especially the patterns and bright colour combined. You might like to share your work on Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your happy news! Congrats on all the great karma!! I love your 16x20 girl portrait! Loved the colors and the whimsical quality of it! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!I love the birds a lot ..the colors are brilliant ! The portraits are lovely as well..So vibrant and energetic looking!

    I absolutely live your blog,.I'm a twelve year old who recently made a blog : ibreatheit.blogspot.com

    I would love if you could visit!

    Your new follower,
    Duaa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!