A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Monday, December 2, 2013

Soul Food Meet and Greet: AyalaArt



We are now offering payment plans in either 2 or 4 payments  You can read the details next to the PayPal buttons on the SOUL FOOD page.


Watch a fun little promo video for SOUL FOOD HERE.


----------------


Today we are welcoming AyalaArt! After you read her interview, be sure and stop by her Facebook Page and enter her GIVEAWAY!!!


Tell us about you and your art journey.
To me art is a way of living, of seeing things; a way of having fun, relieving the stress and keep learning. I have always been art inclined, even before I knew the word for it.

When I was very little I decided I was going to be an opera singer when I grew up and I told the world out loud on top of my little chair. Later on in life, pencil and paper became my best friends. All through my life I have drawn, even on the wall. One of my best memories is making chalk mermaids in my grandma's wall and she would keep them till my next visit.

As I grew up, more art forms came into my life: Acting, Ceramics, Graphic Design, Woodcarving, Painting and Doll Making.

What are some of the things that nourish your soul? How do you decide what to create - where do your ideas come from?
I have to create; if I don't paint I am not happy. It feeds my soul and recharges my energy. Most of all, I love to work on faces. It brings me more joy than say, landscapes, although those are fun too (because you can add a portrait to them!) How do I decide? Well…. It has to have a face. I pick colors and play with my pencil.

How do you re-energize yourself or your muse if you have a creative “dry spell”?
There have been dry spells, like when my children were little and I packed all my art stuff, especially the clay (one kid was throwing it against the wall, the other was eating it) but I never put my pencil down.

Sometimes I feel blocked, muse less. At times like that, it is better to take a rest and fill the mind visually with nature, books, movies… whatever works, so when the time comes you have fuel to create fresh ideas or work on your personal obsession, why not?

What are some recurring themes/subjects in your work?
In my case my ongoing themes are: portraits of pensive ladies, Frida, little girls.
My constant elements: eyes, hands, calla lilies, the Moon and Sun, leaves, clouds and skies are often present.

Long time ago I had a car accident that left me in pain for years until I wasn't able to walk. I had surgery and I'm fine now, but being so acquainted with pain for so long gave me some new understanding and depth to my art that I had not known before and a re-acquaintance with Frida Kahlo, plus I love all the rich Hispanic elements present in her art, not all of it, but many.

What is one piece of advice that you’d like to share with other artists?
If I had any advice to give to other people, it would be to practice. Do it. Repeat many times the one thing you want to improve and document with pictures, scans or notes anything you are liking or even disliking. You can see your work sometimes better in a digital form or in written.
Do you have a signature set of colors? Show us some examples in your work, pretty please!
I don’t consider myself a person with a determined style or palette. However, I do love to use bright colors, texture and the small format; I love the combination of very soft brush stroke for the face mixed with random, chunky messy areas in the rest of the painting.  I like too many things to settle in only one direction, although I have reduced my interests list on purpose, to be able to focus myself.

What kind of creative patterns, routines or rituals do you have?
I like to start a piece with a specific idea, and I try to follow that image from my mind into the canvas. It is a scary territory for me to go totally random or to create an abstract that I like, but it is one of the things I have been working on this year and so far I am enjoying it.





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our new class coming December 30, 2013! Join 39 artists over 6 months for a mix of art and craft projects as diverse as the different personal styles of our instructors: cool mixed media techniques, art dolls and other sewing projects, jewelry making, handmade journals, abstract art, portraits, sculpting, works on canvas and in journals. Find out more!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!! How fantastic it would be to win a free class with 39 artists!! It would change my life. All that goodness at your finger tips. Keeping my fingers crossed that i would be soo lucky!! xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to go to AyalaArt's Facebook Page to enter! https://www.facebook.com/AyalaArt

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!