A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Soul Food Meet and Greet: Melanie Underwood




We are now offering payment plans in either 2 or 4 payments  You can read the details next to the PayPal buttons on the SOUL FOOD page.


Watch a fun little promo video for SOUL FOOD HERE.


----------------

Today we are welcoming Melanie Underwood! After you read her interview, be sure and stop by her shop and check out her work!!!



Tell us about your art journey.
I really didn’t paint a lot as a kid or as a young adult. I didn’t get the urge to paint until I was pregnant with my second child at 32 yrs old. It was like a fog lifted and all I wanted to do was paint. I started with a mural in the kitchen and then my daughter’s room and then I transitioned to canvas. I was feeling ok about my painting skills but then I made a fellow mom a canvas for her child’s room and she encouraged me to start selling them. I started to paint on a regular basis and sold quite a few. After fine tuning my skills and discovering mixed media, I really came alive. I started an Etsy shop and started selling at my local open air market. Things really took off and I also started to teach kids art camps and adult workshops.

What is one piece of advice you’d like to share with others?
Be persistent. I know plenty of people who are passionate about something and start working at it and then quit after they have little success. It takes persistence to succeed and it also takes passion and a ton of hard work. You won’t succeed without some very long hours.

When you are creating something, how do you know when it is finished?
This is hard. I think it’s a fine line. I think sometimes you can over do a painting. Go with your instincts. I have an interior design degree so I think I just have an eye when it comes to composition. I also think it takes lots of practice!! Practice makes perfect:)

What are some recurring themes in your work?
I mainly paint birds and owls. Also I love to add flowers, hearts, happy colors and lots of inspirational quotes or words.

What hangs on your walls? Do you collect work by other artists?

Yes! I have walls full of art...I have pieces from many other artists, my art and my daughter’s art...I even have a piece of my husband’s art from high school on the wall. I think art on walls adds fun, happiness and color to your house. And I don’t just have it in one room, I have pieces in every single room of my house!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our new class coming December 30, 2013! Join 39 artists over 6 months for a mix of art and craft projects as diverse as the different personal styles of our instructors: cool mixed media techniques, art dolls and other sewing projects, jewelry making, handmade journals, abstract art, portraits, sculpting, works on canvas and in journals. Find out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!