A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Soul Food Meet and Greet: Regina Lord



We are now offering payment plans in either 2 or 4 payments  You can read the details next to the PayPal buttons on the SOUL FOOD page.


Watch a fun little promo video for SOUL FOOD HERE.


----------------

Today we are welcoming Regina Lord! After you read her interview, be sure and stop by her website and enter her GIVEAWAY!!!





Tell us about you and your art journey.
My name is Regina and I live in Tucson, Arizona with my beautiful family.  Like many artists, I was very creative as a child and was encouraged to draw by my creative and supportive grandfather. He put the first crayon in my hand right away, which started a lifelong passion for art and making things.  Making art always had a presence in my life, but I went to college to become a registered nurse, thinking that I could never really be a professional artist. I did the nursing thing for 15 years when I realized how much I needed art in my life for my own sanity, self-care and for the way it gave me an incredible life force and  energy.  I finally quit my nursing job, almost 1 year ago, to be home more and work on my art full time.  Now, I know that I don't need an art degree and I don't need someone to tell me I'm an artist. I just know it.

What are some of the things that nourish your soul? How do you decide what to create - where do your ideas come from?
I find that nature and quality time with my family is what nourishes my soul the most. Living in Tucson means 100 degree temps in the summer, but the rest of the year is perfect for outdoor time. I like to go for morning walks in the spring, winter and fall. It wakes me up, clears my head and energizes my soul. Hikes with my family, on the weekends, helps strengthen our bond as a family and with nature too. Friends help with nourishing my soul as well. Lively conversation, wine, venting our life stresses and laughter offer another boost to help nourish my soul. Often times, these things; nature, family, my friends provide me with inspiration and ideas for new paintings--which leads me to the next question....

What are some recurring themes/subjects in your work?
Because of my love of nature, family and friends, I often paint birds, flowers, homes, people (mostly women). When I paint women, I like to think of the strong amazing women in my life and I also like to make them up in my mind. When I paint them, I give amazing stories. I am also drawn to birds, adding my own whimsical touches to give them lots of character. Painting homes, conjures up thoughts of comfort, love and a safe place to be surrounded by those you love.

What is one piece of advice that you’d like to share with other artists?
I have three, actually: 1) Let go of any expectations that may cause you feelings of failure. When starting out, don't expect your art to look like someone else's, or for it to be a master piece straight out of the gate. Instead, expect to learn a lot, to grow and to become a part of the process. You may surprise yourself. 2) Practice, practice, practice. If you want to be really good at something, then you need to learn everything about it and then do it over, and over again. Over time, what once seemed hard will become easy and more fun. When this happens, it's time to learn something new and challenge yourself once again.  3) Show your passion.  If you love something enough, it will show through in your work and people will take notice!
What kind of creative patterns, routines or rituals do you have?
I am not a morning person, but I have kids, which means I have to get up early. So, I usually spend my mornings helping with house and family stuff, going for a walk, doing yoga, going shopping, running errands, etc, etc, etc. After lunch, my creative juices have started flowing and I'm ready to hit my studio with some quality creative time. I have a little routine/ritual that helps me get to my creative place--mind, body and spirit. Here is what I do:


  1. Make an intention to make useful the time I have to create and have fun.
  2. Spend 5-10 minutes cleaning my space, gathering my supplies.
  3. I don my favorite painting apron that has lots of fun buttons from my creative, artsy friends. I pretend that I am calling on them to be with me in spirit as I paint and create.
  4. I burn a smudge stick to clear the air or spray some mood mists.
  5. I play some music, turn the computer off or put it at a distance so that I am not tempted to do any web surfing.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our new class coming December 30, 2013! Join 39 artists over 6 months for a mix of art and craft projects as diverse as the different personal styles of our instructors: cool mixed media techniques, art dolls and other sewing projects, jewelry making, handmade journals, abstract art, portraits, sculpting, works on canvas and in journals. Find out more!

2 comments:

  1. I love Regina Lord. Not only is she a gifted artist but she is a very good teacher. I have taken 2 of her e-courses and I learned so much more than i ever expected to learn in one month! The Soul Food course is going to be awesome, I would love to take part in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Regina Lord is a wonderful addition to Soul Food. She is a caring and talented teacher. Her voice is very soothing and she takes care to ensure that she imparts good techniques. I have taken two e courses from Regina and have learned so much not only about art, but also myself. She is the reason i signed up for Soul Food and I cannot wait to begin. This is going to be a fun time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!