A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Much-Afraid & Restore

I have some great news to share... my first show! I have been accepted to display my art at our local coffee shop off the square, Jackson Avenue Coffee! My art will fill a 50 foot wall for the entire month of April. Needless to say, I'm thrilled and so thankful!

Over the last few years, I have been noticing people choosing a word to focus on for the year instead of a resolution. This year I decided I'm going to do that. My word for the year is "Restore". There are many facets to this and I plan to share them throughout the year. If I don't share, I won't follow through... I know myself too well. I've been working through some very difficult things over the past few years and I feel like I'm nearing the end of this season in life. I've struggled with depression, anxiety and PTSD for most of my life and the healing has been flooding in. I feel like God is and has been "restoring the years the locusts have eaten".


I wanted to give a little more information on this painting than I did in my recent post because it ties in with my word. This piece is called "Much-Afraid" after the main character in the book "Hind's Feet on High Places". I read this about 12 years ago and it impacted me deeply. Well, recently, my dog got a hold of my book and chewed it to bits. He didn't eat the whole thing though, so I collected what was left to use as collage in my backgrounds. This piece  is collaged completely with left-over book pages. I realized as I was re-using my book, I was also restoring it to life in a way. This old dogeared, highlighted copy of a book that deeply impacted me and breathed life into my hurting soul, was coming back to life in my art. It's not wasting away on a book shelf.
So, restore... we'll see how it winds its way through my life this year... I think it will be a good one. :)




3 comments:

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!