A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Monday, February 20, 2012

Life Book Lesson 8


I'm taking a yearlong workshop calleLife Book  hosted by artist Tamara Laporte. There are 14 teachers in addition to Tam and it has been so neat to experience the different styles. I have a couple of the lessons in progress, but this week's lesson, taught by Mystele, I've already finished. Her lesson was on layers and how they play together to create depth, both visually and emotionally in a piece even if you cannot see what's underneath. This girl does have lots going on beneath her, but I really couldn't preserve it in the skin like I like to do because it was green and she just looked like a zombie, lol! The colors are much richer in person. This was such a fun and free lesson. That's just how Mystele rolls. :D

You can find Mystele on YouTube, her website, her etsy and she offers a couple of free classes at her Ning site so you can get a taste of her process.

Now, this second girl, I did yesterday and yes, I was in one of those moods. I wanted to share this here because I completely left the layers of color underneath to show through the skin. I only added shading. These were both just  quick, rough, expressive sketches... just a way to process some emotions.

I'm linking up with Inspire Me Monday this week so I thought I'd share some of the words I tend to write as the first layer for many of my paintings. These are the ideas and thoughts that seem to ignite my creativity.
  • hope
  • dream
  • faith
  • cherish
  • passion
  • whatever scripture that is on my heart
  • lyrics stuck in my head
So, that's a start. There's so much more craziness going on in this noggin, but that's for another day. :)

I'm also linking up with Make Something Monday. If you want to see some great creations, hop over there.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather.....what a great course...sounds amazing....and inspiring.....I love your new art too!!!! wishing you a super creative day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!