A sparrow's journey through this crazy, beautiful life...

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Soul Food Meet and Greet: Cathy Bluteau



We are now offering payment plans in either 2 or 4 payments  You can read the details next to the PayPal buttons on the SOUL FOOD page.


Watch a fun little promo video for SOUL FOOD HERE.


----------------


Today we are welcoming Cathy Bluteau! After you read her interview, be sure and stop by her blog and enter her GIVEAWAY!!!






Tell us about you and your art journey.
Although it sounds cliché, I really have been making art ever since I can remember.  Even before there were beautiful cardstock papers and bit and pieces of ephemera I was collecting beautiful candy wrappers and bits of broken jewellery.

What are some of the things that nourish your soul? How do you decide what to create - Where do your ideas come from?
It really is true that anything can inspire artists.  The obvious inspiration sources are magazines or pinterest or blogs but in fact – anything can inspire me.  It can be a color on someone’s blouse, a texture on a brick wall, a pencil sketch in a newspaper – just about anything really.

What is one piece of advice that you’d like to share with other artists?
Draw, paint or exercise your creativity in some way every single day – you will be amazed how your work will improve and if you do this daily – it will become just a daily necessity.

How do you re-energise yourself or your muse if you have a creative “dry spell”?
I wait, I don’t force it – I’ll spend some time reading, or looking through magazines, or just doodling in my sketchbook.  Somehow something always pops up.

How have the “rough spots” in life affected your art?
Well, oddly enough during rough spots I tend to not create as much.  I really need to be in a good frame of mind to create – that doesn’t mean happy jumping up and down – but just in a good, solid state of mind.  During rough times I tend to be lethargic but that does not mean that my artistic brain is not working in the background.  Often after a prolonged rough spot or even a dry spell – the art just spills out so I know something has subconsciously been working in my brain.

Tell us about the first piece you created that you felt really proud of.
It was probably 2002 which was the first time I painted on a very large canvas.  I hung it on my basement wall – more just so I could see it and use it as a point of reference for the next large painting I did – you know to correct and change what I didn’t like about the that one.  But everyone who came into the basement was wowed by the piece.  I was shocked – I finally started thinking – hey – maybe I am an artist

When you’re creating something, how do you decide when it’s finished?
Tough question – sometimes I know and sometimes I don’t know.  If it is something I do a lot of (like doodle art) I generally know when it is done.  If it is something new (like drawing faces) I still am not sure if I have done too much or not enough.

What was the nicest compliment you’ve ever received about your work?
That’s an easy one.  A follower/friend of my blog wrote me an email (not a comment on my blog but an email) and told me that I had inspired them to pick up a paintbrush after many years of not having not touched one.  Wow – for me that is huge!  If I can actually inspire someone enough to just get the paints out that is enough – but to have inspired someone who has not painted (and did previously) in a long while to pick up a brush is amazing!

What drives your sense of validation or legitimacy as an artist?
Getting feedback is important when you work primarily online and are fairly isolated.  I think that I would make art no matter what.

What are some recurring themes/subjects in your work?
Definitely colors – blue and green – and whimsy

Do you have a signature set of colors? Show us some examples in your work, pretty please!
Oops – yes blue and green

What are some elements that make your work “yours”?
I have loosely been known as the artist who makes doodles – I wouldn’t want this to be my legacy but it is good for now.

Which creative medium would you love to pursue but haven’t yet?
Encaustics – been on my list for a long long time

What kind of creative patterns, routines or rituals do you have?
I am most creative in the morning so if I can get a paintbrush or pen or pencil in my hand by 6:00 AM I will have had a good day

What hangs on your walls? Do you collect work by other artists
I do have a few things that I have collected like art work from Viv Sliwka Hens Teeth, Jodi Ohl and Sue Griffiths JessieMessie.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our new class coming December 30, 2013! Join 39 artists over 6 months for a mix of art and craft projects as diverse as the different personal styles of our instructors: cool mixed media techniques, art dolls and other sewing projects, jewelry making, handmade journals, abstract art, portraits, sculpting, works on canvas and in journals. Find out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a message!